We like to share product recommendations with you and hope you like them! Just to make you aware Educated Driver may collect a small share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Updated August, 2020
America is a car culture. We love the freedom and flexibility that comes with owning a car and being licensed to drive. Learning how to drive is a natural part of growing up – but for decades, traditional driver’s ed programs have been outdated and boring. It’s 2019, and there is now a different way to complete driver’s ed courses: online! One of the most popular online traffic schools is DriversEd.com. Is DriversEd.com legit? We’ll take a close look at this service in our DriversEd.com review.
At a Glance: DriversEd.com makes the driver’s ed process quick, affordable and easy by letting you complete the course online. The program is DMV approved, and satisfies state requirements for driver’s training. DriversEd.com utilizes an engaging mix of content including text, videos, animations and quizzes in order to teach the rules of the road. Both teen and adult driver’s ed programs are available. It’s available in most states, but requirements and pricing vary from state to state.
What We Love:
- 100% online driver’s ed
- State DMV certified
- Gets you prepared for in-person drives to earn your license
- Also offers package deals that include an instructor for in-person drives
- Very affordable
- Much quicker than traditional driver’s ed
- Complete at your own pace
- Engaging content with a mix of learning mediums
- Risk-free – try the first 20% of most courses before paying anything, plus enjoy a satisfaction guarantee
- Over 11 million customers served
- Well rated in DriversEd.com reviews from customers
- Available in most states
- Lets you earn high school credit in many states
- 24/7 customer support
Click here to sign up for DriversEd.com, or continue on for our full DriversEd.com review
What We Don’t Love:
- The smartphone app has stability issues and can crash at times
- Some reviewers noted issues with the in-person drive instructors, but this will vary by location (DriversEd.com partners with local drive instructors – and using their instructors is not required)
What is DriversEd.com?
A leader in the online driver’s training industry with over 11 million satisfied customers
DriversEd.com is one of the oldest and most established online driver’s ed companies out there. Founded in 1997, the company has now served over 11 million people. They offer teen driver’s ed, adult driver’s ed, online traffic school, and more.
The bulk of programs at DriversEd.com are designed to help you get past the written/classroom portion of driver’s ed. Once you earn your certificate through the program, you’ll then need to complete in-person drives in order to earn your license. DriversEd.com also offers package deals that include lessons with a local drive instructor.
DriversEd.com is state certified in most areas, meaning that their courses meet or exceed standards set forth by the state government. Thus, the material is very similar to what you would see in a traditional driver’s ed class – but it’s presented in a more engaging manner. The courses consist of interactive animations, videos, gifs, text, quizzes and more. See this brief video for an overview of DriversEd.com:
We tested a few different courses offered by DriversEd.com to get a feel for how the program worked. We also looked at third party DriversEd.com reviews from customers to get a wider range of opinions. Our full DriversEd.com review below has the full scoop:
Fun and engaging; state DMV certified; affordable
- Can be completed on computers, tablets or smartphones
- Progress syncs between devices
- Complete at your own pace
- Certified and approved by state DMVs
- Advanced 3D animations
- Mix of videos, animations, interactive content and more
- Regular quizzes to test knowledge
- Practice tests to prepare for the DMV written exam
- Online-only OR online + in person drives packages available
- Earn high school credit in many states
- Dedicated 24/7 customer support
- Physical or digital Certificate of Completion
- Complete the first 20% of the course before paying (to see if it’s working for you)
How Does DriversEd.com Work?
State approved coursework delivered online in an engaging, modern way
DriversEd.com provide state approved courses to teach the fundamentals of driving. It’s essentially the same material your parents learned in old school driver’s ed classes, just presented in a more modern fashion.
For teen drivers, here’s how the process will work:
- Sign up for DriversEd.com and select your state
- Choose a package – online only or online + in-person driving instruction
- Complete the required coursework
- Receive a Certificate of Completion in the mail, or email
- Take the Certificate to the state DMV and apply for a permit
- Take the written permit test (DriversEd.com practice tests will prepare you for this)
- Receive your driver’s permit
- Complete the state required in-car training (rules vary – some states allow parent teachers, some must be with a professional)
- Take the written and physical driving tests to receive your license!
- (Optional) – contact DriversEd.com to receive a transcript for high school credit (in many states)
For other programs, including adult driver’s ed, online traffic school, defensive driving, etc. the process looks similar, but quicker. Most other courses are 100% online and do not require in-person drives.
The DriversEd.com Experience
A mix of learning materials delivered on all your favorite devices
DriversEd.com works on most devices, including computers, laptops, tablets and smartphones. You can complete coursework at your own pace, even bouncing back and forth between different devices.
Once you’re signed up, you’ll learn via a number of different mediums: text based coursework, videos, and advanced 3D animations
Course work will vary depending on which state you reside in, as state requirements are different everywhere. However, rest assured that DriversEd.com will teach you or your teen the information needed to be a safe, informed driver.
How Much Does DriversEd.com Cost?
Varies by state; prices from $25 for online courses
No DriversEd.com review would be complete without pricing info! Unfortunately there’s no quick answer to this frequently asked question. Each state has different requirements, and thus coursework is different for each state. This leads to different pricing for each state!
In general, though, the DriversEd.com cost is quite low. Online courses start from just $24.95. If you’re doing in-person training as well, expect to add on several hundred dollars to that figure.
How Long Does DriversEd.com Take?
State requirements vary; ranging from 6 to 30 hours
DriversEd.com courses rigorously follow state requirements, and every state has different requirements. So, it’s difficult to definitively say how long this program will take. It also depends on whether you’re just doing the online-only portion, or the online training AND in-person drives.
Is DriversEd.com DMV Approved?
Yes; DriversEd.com is state DMV approved in most states
We often are asked, is DriversEd.com legit? The answer is a big YES. This program is as legit as it gets, with over 11 million graduations and nationwide coverage. Online courses through DriversEd.com are DMV approved.
What are DriversEd.com Reviews Saying?
Most people have great experiences with this program. It’s rated 9.1 out of 10 on TrustPilot, and reviews elsewhere are also largely positive.
Some reviews did mention issues with in-person drive instructors. Unfortunately, this will vary significantly depending on where you live. The in-person instructors are not actually part of DriversEd.com, but are partnered with the company. It’s always possible you’d get a less-than-ideal instructor, but that’s the case whether you go through DriversEd.com or not.
DriversEd.com Review: Bottom Line
Overall, DriversEd.com is a great service. It can help save you a ton of time and money, while still teaching you the information to keep you safe on the road. Its content is engaging and fun, and it meets state requirements.
We enjoyed the DriversEd.com courses that we tested, and we would definitely recommend the service to those interested. The only issue we encountered was a bug that caused the app to crash, but this will likely be addressed in a future update.
For other similar options, check out our reviews of: